Bit Of A Yarn

Yearling Sales postponed

Richie

Just now, Brodie said:

Havent seen the results of the trotters sale today so will be interesting to see what they sold for in the morning results.
To be racing horses nowadays, you nave to be doing it for the love of it as the chances of covering your costs is very very small!

The catalogues are strong this year but are there enough people prepared to shell out big money in the hope that they have something that can run fast enough to win many races?

The fact is that stake money most horses are currently racing for is a fraction of what the owners need, to make it a financially viable proposition!

Hopefully things will turn around and harness stays sound in the South Island as the North Island harness racing is knackered!

Yes Brods, it was not a good result, I don't think. Last years top result was $280k for trotter. Chat later Im going offline now 😁

Just had a look at the sales results for the trotters yesterday.

They say that the sales kicked off positively with the median up 30% from last year!

I would hate to see a poor sale result!

Looking at sales of the horses it appears that there was nit much interest at all going by the big no. Of Passed Ins and poor sale figures!

Well breds werent selling for amounts that made it worth breeding when all costs and fees are taken into account!

Going to be interesting the pacers today and tomorrow !

Here’s hoping for the breeders sake but they will paint a rosey picture either way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

If you went to the sales and saw the product you would not be wondering why such passings occured.

expert breeder now as well jjflasher? god your a big know it all, guess you had to say something as i know you will be getting sick of talking to yourself on the other site,

You start 3/4 of the posts and then come here for attention cause no one really seems to care cause your a boring know all !

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, whiplash smile said:

expert breeder now as well jjflasher? god your a big know it all, guess you had to say something as i know you will be getting sick of talking to yourself on the other site,

You start 3/4 of the posts and then come here for attention cause no one really seems to care cause your a boring know all !

dud sire he would be lol

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

The catch phrase of today must of been “I can’t do that”
How disappointing so far for the sale today for all. Hopefully tomorrow it picks up …

At this stage looks like no-one guessed the top lot but Gamms at 200-209 and Robalan 220-229 are the closest. $215k a Vincent Feiss buyer

Still tomorrow is the final day. Looks like there are a few more to come thru. But the passed in lots are noticeable.

Edited by Karrots

32 minutes ago, Karrots said:

The catch phrase of today must of been “I can’t do that”
How disappointing so far for the sale today for all. Hopefully tomorrow it picks up …

At this stage looks like no-one guessed the top lot but Gamms at 200-209 and Robalan 220-229 are the closest. $215k a Vincent Feiss buyer

Still tomorrow is the final day. Looks like there are a few more to come thru. But the passed in lots are noticeable.

I think, now this could be wrong as I just had a quick look, but more than 40 passed in lots so far and approx 100 lots have gone thru the ring. 

50 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Update, 240 bang on Trotsfan takes my crown, waaaahhh. New top lot of today. I'm watching it now & that was quite the bidding war, and the horsies just keep coming out. 

What was noticeable when I watched a few sales is that there is buggerall people there!

Havent been for a few years but I do know that there was always a helluva lot more there than there was today!

I will be surprised if the sale is any better tomorrow however I wouldnt be surprised if they paint a rosier  picture than it actually is!

Interesting times ahead as for many breeders, breeding horses is a loss making venture nowadays

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Brodie said:

What was noticeable when I watched a few sales is that there is buggerall people there!

Havent been for a few years but I do know that there was always a helluva lot more there than there was today!

Brodie,whilst you make valid points,of course there were no online buyers a few years ago.

My mate successfully purchased a Lot (after being passed in) from the comfort of his couch in Auckland.

• Like 3

At 2nd glance of final sales results, I noted that Fleiss brought 3 Vincent's. All lovely lookers. Good to have a top buyer like her buying his stock. Esp for a yet to be proven. 

Right Im logging off for evening. Now I better not go dreaming about the horsey sales lol.

Nite all. 

Edited by Karrots

10 hours ago, Karrots said:

At 2nd glance of final sales results, I noted that Fleiss brought 3 Vincent's. All lovely lookers.

Check this out, 1 of the best owners, Feiss, so far she has gone ALL for new sires only for her class of 2019.

Weanling sales - 2 Vincents, 1 Downbytheseaside

Yearling sales - 3 Vincents, 1 Betting Line

Will see what happens today as the final sales day. Also how her stock get on come race-day with that unknown sire factor. Interesting.

18 hours ago, whiplash smile said:

Smarter than you on this topic which was a response to Brodie but keep trolling anyway. Other trainers agreed with me and they were trying to buy for clients.

Im pleased you are enjoying your regular visits to the other site.

Edited by JJ Flash
  • Like 1
  • Bad Post 1

27 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

this topic which was a response to Brodie. Other trainers agreed with me and they were trying to buy for clients.

Brodie didn’t ask a question, it was more an observation or statement.

But it is a good question, why was the pass-in lots high.

So you and trainers felt the look/feel of the horses were not that great. Interesting.

Wondered if the reserves on some may have been too high ... Also too with more to choose from over 2 days, oppose Auks just having the 1 day, also maybe as they said Breckon opened the pandora box and the overall quality of Day 1 sale was top notch so I read.

Don’t know the answer, just some thoughts as to maybe some possibly contributing factors …

Anyway will check results with interest later today. And see who takes the top lot guessing game crown/s.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 7:32 PM, Karrots said:

does anyone want to play the guessing game for Top Lot?

How much the Top Lot will go for at CHC?

I'd say there is a good chance it will go higher than $300k, 

New Top Lot at $310k Chicago Bulls & Perfect Strides bro.

Its just $1k above Karrots guess of 300k - 309k - but still its over.

So regardless of end sales results, no-one will take the crown as everyone guessed lower. All in good fun anyway.

Thought it might go a bit higher than $300k of Auckland sale.

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Karrots said:

So regardless of end sales results, no-one will take the crown as everyone guessed lower. All in good fun anyway.

Hang on, forgot about Eljays ph bid guess. Just saw, while taking a sneaky peak, a ph bid new top lot of $320k. If that holds then 1 of us WILL take the crown. Is it too early to congratulate Eljay ... 👏

crown jewels football GIF by SportsManias

Edited by Karrots

22 hours ago, Karrots said:

At 2nd glance of final sales results, I noted that Fleiss brought 3 Vincent's. All lovely lookers. Good to have a top buyer like her buying his stock. Esp for a yet to be proven. 

Right Im logging off for evening. Now I better not go dreaming about the horsey sales lol.

Nite all. 

Fleiss, love it!

Fleecing the NZ owners with all her wins!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Overall sale did well. Looking at Sweet Lous stats in CHC is disappointing. Must be too for the vendors of Sweet Lous.

Sweet  Lou Average $16,438 

Compared to new sires Vincent Average $43,071 Always B Miki $26,615 Downbytheseaside Average $20,667,

His credentials in comparison to the new sires with no credentials yet bar Always B Miki doing well in USA with 1st crop.

2016 - 70 live foals / Group 1 winner Sweet on Me + Group 2 winner Virgil at 2y-o - also had a NZ Cup nom Spirit of St Lou + 50% win strike rate (current age of crop 4 y-os)

2017 - 67 live foals / Harness Millions winner Aladdin

2018 - 86 live foals / Early 2 y-o winner Celtic Spirit

Naturally the top sires have a big numbers difference on him as below. He has the most live foals season 2019 & 2020. Which was probably why he had so many at sale, but just wasn’t really supported in CHC. I suspect his class of 2019 & 2020 when they hit the track with such a big numbers jump their presence will be noticeable.

Live foals Bettors D

2016 - 202 

2017 - 215

2018 -136

Live foals Art Major

2016 - 151

2017 - 117

2018 - 82

Live foals American Ideal

2016 - 103

2017 - 81

2018 - 67

Edited by Karrots

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/02/2021 at 8:51 PM, Karrots said:

Overall sale did well. Looking at Sweet Lous stats in CHC is disappointing. Must be too for the vendors of Sweet Lous.

Sweet  Lou Average $16,438 

Compared to new sires Vincent Average $43,071 Always B Miki $26,615 Downbytheseaside Average $20,667,

His credentials in comparison to the new sires with no credentials yet bar Always B Miki doing well in USA with 1st crop.

2016 - 70 live foals / Group 1 winner Sweet on Me + Group 2 winner Virgil at 2y-o - also had a NZ Cup nom Spirit of St Lou + 50% win strike rate (current age of crop 4 y-os)

2017 - 67 live foals / Harness Millions winner Aladdin

2018 - 86 live foals / Early 2 y-o winner Celtic Spirit

Naturally the top sires have a big numbers difference on him as below. He has the most live foals season 2019 & 2020. Which was probably why he had so many at sale, but just wasn’t really supported in CHC. I suspect his class of 2019 & 2020 when they hit the track with such a big numbers jump their presence will be noticeable.

Live foals Bettors D

2016 - 202 

2017 - 215

2018 -136

Live foals Art Major

2016 - 151

2017 - 117

2018 - 82

Live foals American Ideal

2016 - 103

2017 - 81

2018 - 67