Bit Of A Yarn

O M G SPITFIRE

12 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Beach training does help a lot of horses to relax and enjoy life. Helps people too ! recommended.

Yep some horses really respond to a change in scenery, lifestyle and training regime.  I thought watching the race that Spitfire looked happy and full of himself.  Many a good trainer in any of the codes has been quoted as saying that 90% of the key to winning is keeping the horse happy.

• Like 2

I was sceptical but well done to the connections for perseverance. I don't know if the horse has new owners or the same throughout his career but your patience paid off. Just goes to show that every horse has his day. Will he win another do you think? Congratulations to Amber Hoffman too, she has improved the horse, seemed to run a lot kinder today than he has in the pasta.

• Like 2

Congratulations to the owners and especially Amber Hoffman for the very dominating win by Averos Spifire!

Either Amber Hoffman is the best trainer in NZ or Faulks is the worst?

Seriously, the horse looked totally different to what it used to look, and raced totally the opposite to what it was several months ago!

Has the freeze brand been checked by the Stewards, as that Averos Spitfire was a totally different horse to the one that raced for its first 59 starts!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Bad Post 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Congratulations to the owners and especially Amber Hoffman for the very dominating win by Averos Spifire!

Seriously, the horse looked totally different to what it used to look, and raced totally the opposite to what it was several months ago!

Has the freeze brand been checked by the Stewards, as that Averos Spitfire was a totally different horse to the one that raced for its first 59 starts!!!!!!!!!

do you think it was a fine cotton?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Or it could be Brodie is not a very good judge and was not on the money again!

• Sad 1
  • Bad Post 1

14 hours ago, Davis said:

I was sceptical but well done to the connections for perseverance. I don't know if the horse has new owners or the same throughout his career but your patience paid off. Just goes to show that every horse has his day. Will he win another do you think? Congratulations to Amber Hoffman too, she has improved the horse, seemed to run a lot kinder today than he has in the pasta.

Winning by 8 lengths,unreal.

• Like 1

Syndicate honours fallen member

1 March 2021 , News

By Jonny Turner

The Dunedin based Ambie’s Army Syndicate honoured the late Jonny Keen soon after he lost his battle with cancer through the win of Aveross Spitfire at Oamaru yesterday.

Driver Jonny Cox wore a black armband in memory of syndicate member Keen, who died earlier this month after a short and sudden illness.
Aveross Spitfire defied his previous winless streak of 59 starts and powered away for an emphatic maiden win in race 5.

Manager Aaron Johnston was sure Keen, who was a member of the syndicate alongside his fiancé Kirstin Burt, was willing the pacer on from above.
“It was very special, I think he was getting driven home by Jonny [Keen],” Johnston said.

The Ambies Army syndicate is largely made up of members of the Forbury Park harness racing fraternity but it is has members stretched across the South Island.

With owners allowed on course under the country’s level 2 COVID19 restrictions, many of the group were on course to enjoy yesterday’s emotional victory.

Johnston credited trainer Amber Hoffman for helping Aveross Spitfire break his winless streak.

“The syndicate has stuck by Amber, he is actually not a bad horse, even though it has taken him 60 starts to win one.”

“He has been a bit erratic, but he has settled down now.”

“Amber has done a magnificent job and she has been patient.”

Cox took charge of race 5, shooting Aveross Spitfire around to the lead in the middle stages before the pacer powered away for his stylish win.
“It was a beautiful drive from Jonny,” Johnston said.

The Ambies Army syndicate also enjoyed a second placing in To Ri Caitlin, who went down by just a neck to outsider Betstar Blue Jeans.
Hoffman also went on to produce the quinella in race 12 with Dodgethebullet and Trinity Star.

Cox enjoyed a brilliant day in the sulky yesterday, producing a winning treble.

The Canterbury reinsman drove Mickey Fitz to a tough victory in race 3.

After sitting parked the Jamie Campbell trained pacer fought off all challengers to continue his excellent form on grass track.

Cox also took out the Waikouaiti Cup after handing She’s Tough a perfect run in the trail.

The Brad Mowbray trained mare came with a late run to down runner-up American Lightning by a head at the finish.

The win gave She’s Tough back to back cup race wins following her last start victory in the Hororata Cup.

The Waikouaiti Trotters’ Cup was taken out by The Player, trained by Robert Dunn and driven by John Dunn.

• Like 4

Good on you Brodie for the cograts the the Spitfire team, you then pop out from under a rock, with an insipid statement compering Hoffman and Faulks, who are both pretty reasonable trainers and people, jeez you can be a total Richard Cranium sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Badger said:

Good on you Brodie for the cograts the the Spitfire team, you then pop out from under a rock, with an insipid statement compering Hoffman and Faulks, who are both pretty reasonable trainers and people, jeez you can be a total Richard Cranium sometimes.

Was that a compliment?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Brodie said:

When?

What starts did it show that it could ever win a couple of races???

6 hours ago, Noodlum said:

I disagree it has always shown glimpses of being able to win a race or even two.  

Noodlum, surely you jest?
It could not run a place in over 50 starts and you think that it looked like winning a race? 
Seriously?

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2021 at 4:31 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Yep some horses really respond to a change in scenery, lifestyle and training regime.  I thought watching the race that Spitfire looked happy and full of himself.  Many a good trainer in any of the codes has been quoted as saying that 90% of the key to winning is keeping the horse happy.

I think you are right Chief. The previous version of AS did not want to be on the track that was obvious. Full credit to Amber Hoffman who has transformed the horse. He looks different, certainly fitter but on Sunday he he looked focused and determined. Perhaps it was the late owner urging him home, who knows. Hoffman has also given AS his confidence back by taking him to the trials at Winton where he won and changing his gear etc. Well done Amber. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Noodlum, surely you jest?
It could not run a place in over 50 starts and you think that it looked like winning a race? 
Seriously?

Brodie I think you are being mean-spirited here. Yes, I am also amazed that AS won so convincingly but he did. Amber Hoffman has done a great job with this horse. She is a good trainer that improves horses. AS raced far more kindly yesterday than he has ever done before. Previously, he was quite intractable, pulling, field shy etc. Hoffman has taken him to the trials, he won at Winton, this gives the horse confidence. I don't know if he will win again, after yesterday probably he will.

You are right he never looked like winning a race until Hoffman got him. Fitness counts for all athletes whether horses or slow-medium joggers like me. AS is now fit, probably for the first time in his life, and it shows. 

20 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Isn't two thirds in it's last 5 starts "running a place"?

His third at Forbury had a lot of merit as he had a shocking run.

2 hours ago, Noodlum said:

Isn't two thirds in it's last 5 starts "running a place"?

His third at Forbury had a lot of merit as he had a shocking run.

You said it has always shown glimpses of being able to win a race!

When in its  first 50 odd starts did it show enough ability to win a race?

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

When?

What starts did it show that it could ever win a couple of races???

When it beat All U Need Is Faith at Addington at the trials one day in a 2:01MR  last half 58 and quarter in 27 is when I thought it had the ability to win a race. Note: Four of the horses it easily beat that day have all won races.

1 minute ago, Nowornever said:

When it beat All U Need Is Faith at Addington at the trials one day in a 2:01MR  last half 58 and quarter in 27 is when I thought it had the ability to win a race. Note: Four of the horses it easily beat that day have all won races.

What year  was that?

Did it have 60 race starts and 60 trials after that before it won a race?

It finished last and 7th or 8thwhen it qualified, did you think then that it was going to be a race winner?

7 minutes ago, Brodie said:

What year  was that?

Did it have 60 race starts and 60 trials after that before it won a race?

It finished last and 7th or 8thwhen it qualified, did you think then that it was going to be a race winner?

All its good trials have been when it led. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

Lol.

So exactly 4 years later it wins its first race!

Well worth paying out $100,000 to win a race!!

To the owners of Yankee Jay racing on Friday night. Brodie thinks you should pull the pin. You have been good at trials but ran down the track a couple of times so no use persevering. 

• Haha 1