Bit Of A Yarn

A free for all forum.

I know this is a trotting section but we should have a forum chatting about all things  sporting, no one seems to go there.

We got soccer tomorrow and wednesday, the All Blacks named and how appropriate that name is, throw in the cricket.

We just need to get something started and then go from there.

Be nice to change the topics now and then, a bit of variety would probably increase the traffic here.

I've just had a look and sports general yarns sections, no one been there for 2 or 3 years, I like sports chat, world event ,general yarns, not just racing.

Edited by mikeynz

Certainly would be good to diversify,  added a second post coz I cant edit.

Love chatting about lots of things  music, comedy, politics religion etc etc

Some subjects just cant lift off, a bit like  a plane full of fat ladies.

Edited by mikeynz

14 hours ago, mikeynz said:

we should have a forum chatting about all things  sporting, no one seems to go there.

We got soccer tomorrow and wednesday,

Yeeeeeeessss !  The Aussie Socceroos are through to the 2022 World Cup vanquishing Peru just now.!!

the Son and I were up at 4am kickoff to cheer them on,  as is a HUGE thing for this sporting nation. wahoo.

We will be back up at 4 tomorrow morning to Cheer full on for the NZ All Whites as well !!! Go kiwis to join the Aussies at the World Cup later in year. (It's bigger than the Olympics on a global scale )

May the footy gods see the All-whites through over Costa Rica Wednesday . com'on boys !! you can do it.

• Like 2

If politics were ok we could run a sweep on who was the most useless Government Minister.

Megan Woods on housing. Wouldn't know if her arse was on fire when our country was experiencing it's worst ever housing crisis. She did however manage to eat everything on the buffet table for 600 days in a row which is some achievement. 

Poto Williams. We have the worst ever gang warfare on our streets but she was M.I.A every day and wasn't even aware critical reports on the situation had been read by almost everyone else in Parliament. Ardern said Williams had "lost her focus". HTF is that even possible during a crisis? Isn't it comforting that Ardern still has confidence in her? haha.

Foreign Affairs Minister Nanaia Mahuta was so busy trying to push through the debacle of Three Waters for Maori that she was M.I.A while the Chinese were bribing their way into setting up Military bases in the Pacific ready to launch attacks on any Nato affiliated country down under that has the audacity to stand tall when China invades Taiwan.

Immigration Minister Kris Faafoi is the quintessential chocolate teapot. Signs off changing the demographic of NZ with one stroke of his pen. How nice for the 165,000 so far and their families mostly from China and India. Auckland is already unrecognizable from the city I moved to in 1982. Yesterday Faafoi was described as a Minister that could have been dead at his desk for a month and nobody would notice. 

What a report card this. How could anyone pick the winner or biggest loser? They are all as useless as each other. 

At this farcical time in history of the gender fluidity circus, we have a Government that cares so much about the beautiful new letterbox that they can't see the house burning down in the background. 

• Champ Post 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Walt said:

If politics were ok we could run a sweep on who was the most useless Government Minister.

Megan Woods on housing. Wouldn't know if her arse was on fire when our country was experiencing it's worst ever housing crisis. She did however manage to eat everything on the buffet table for 600 days in a row which is some achievement. 

Poto Williams. We have the worst ever gang warfare on our streets but she was M.I.A every day and wasn't even aware critical reports on the situation had been read by almost everyone else in Parliament. Ardern said Williams had "lost her focus". HTF is that even possible during a crisis? Isn't it comforting that Ardern still has confidence in her? haha.

Foreign Affairs Minister Nanaia Mahuta was so busy trying to push through the debacle of Three Waters for Maori that she was M.I.A while the Chinese were bribing their way into setting up Military bases in the Pacific ready to launch attacks on any Nato affiliated country down under that has the audacity to stand tall when China invades Taiwan.

Immigration Minister Kris Faafoi is the quintessential chocolate teapot. Signs off changing the demographic of NZ with one stroke of his pen. How nice for the 165,000 so far and their families mostly from China and India. Auckland is already unrecognizable from the city I moved to in 1982. Yesterday Faafoi was described as a Minister that could have been dead at his desk for a month and nobody would notice. 

What a report card this. How could anyone pick the winner or biggest loser? They are all as useless as each other. 

At this farcical time in history of the gender fluidity circus, we have a Government that cares so much about the beautiful new letterbox that they can't see the house burning down in the background. 

What about David Clarke? The minister of EFF UPS!

Yes they are the biggest bunch of useless muppets the country has ever known!

Ardern is the most evil of them all and the others just totally out of their depth at everything!

Why anyone wouldve seen fit to vote for them to run the country is actually mind boggling?

The issues that they have and will cause to people now financially and health wise is going to be huge, but to be fair “The Brodster” did warn everyone! 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Yeeeeeeessss !  The Aussie Socceroos are through to the 2022 World Cup vanquishing Peru just now.!!

the Son and I were up at 4am kickoff to cheer them on,  as is a HUGE thing for this sporting nation. wahoo.

We will be back up at 4 tomorrow morning to Cheer full on for the NZ All Whites as well !!! Go kiwis to join the Aussies at the World Cup later in year. (It's bigger than the Olympics on a global scale )

May the footy gods see the All-whites through over Costa Rica Wednesday . com'on boys !! you can do it.

One would hate to be the person who misses the defining penalty, probably one of the most nerve rattling things in sport, so close but so far for 1 team but they had 120 minutes to find a winner, those games often can be a stalemate, playing not to lose, there is a lot at stake.

If they extend the numbers of teams at the World Cup ,Oceania may have a automatic qualifier, not sure if that's good, NZ need to beat some team of note to qualify, Costa Rica ain't a power force in world football but more than a match for our lot, here's hoping anyway.

Will be odd having the World Cup in our summer, June and July often has the best sport of the whole year, it's either the euros or the World Cup in soccer, Wimbledon is on soon too., sometimes the ashes in Cricket, helps to keep us going through winter.

I often wonder if harness racing taking a break for a few weeks in the dead of winter would be benificial.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

One would hate to be the person who misses the defining penalty, probably one of the most nerve rattling things in sport, so close but so far for 1 team but they had 120 minutes to find a winner, those games often can be a stalemate, playing not to lose, there is a lot at stake.

If they extend the numbers of teams at the World Cup ,Oceania may have a automatic qualifier, not sure if that's good, NZ need to beat some team of note to qualify, Costa Rica ain't a power force in world football but more than a match for our lot, here's hoping anyway.

Will be odd having the World Cup in our summer, June and July often has the best sport of the whole year, it's either the euros or the World Cup in soccer, Wimbledon is on soon too., sometimes the ashes in Cricket, helps to keep us going through winter.

I often wonder if harness racing taking a break for a few weeks in the dead of winter would be benificial.

If you're bored with harness racing, why do you keep frequenting this site? There are truck loads of sites on the internet . Why not visit them for other discussion topics?

6 hours ago, Brodie said:

What about David Clarke? The minister of EFF UPS!

Yes they are the biggest bunch of useless muppets the country has ever known!

Ardern is the most evil of them all and the others just totally out of their depth at everything!

Why anyone wouldve seen fit to vote for them to run the country is actually mind boggling?

The issues that they have and will cause to people now financially and health wise is going to be huge, but to be fair “The Brodster” did warn everyone! 

CHILL OUT mate. Come on. You're getting fixated with the government. Take a break for your mental health mate.

4 hours ago, Davis said:

CHILL OUT mate. Come on. You're getting fixated with the government. Take a break for your mental health mate.

I am chilled, Davis.

I just like to point out the absolute disgrace that this lot of incompetents are!

Not a single person in the caucus that has achieved anything beneficial for New Zealand !

We still have the incompetents for another 16 months unfortunately so the destruction will be immense.

We have a Minister Of Foreign Affairs that appears to be scared to fly overseas or is it that the plane seats are not suitable?

We couldnt possibly have a worse bunch of nillers in power!

• Like 1

A day and a half for NZ sport, lost the soccer, no suprise, lost the cricket despite scoring over 550 in innings one.

Costa Rica aint much but enough for us, now they get to play Germany and Spain, Germany have just put 5 past Italy, a handy team.

A bit different for the All Whites playing Vanuatu  but maybe next time they may only need to win Oceania to qualify, a lot more poorer teams will  dilute the product.

Fact is All Whites, 3 games, no goals.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

A day and a half for NZ sport, lost the soccer,

1-0 down for the All-Whites overnight, so 'No World Cup' for NZ later in the year unfortunately.

But chin Up Mikey !!  Chris Waller and James MAc just did NZ Verry proud on the World Stage overnight !!!

Winning the Kings Stand at 'Royal Ascot' (biggest race meet in the world being held each day this week)  with NATURE STRIP blasting away from the field by 5 lengths !! (might just be better than Gammalite that horse lol....)  And then Waller gave the Southern Hemisphere breeding and his and James Mac (the jock) NZ heritage a Big Plug during the World Broadcast post race Interview,  and Thus, putting NZ on the Map !! excellent stuff.......  

Edited by Gammalite

Think I'll name a horse CHIEF STIPE if I race another one . Bound to get some favourable treatment in the stewards room with a name like that.

NOODLUM name already taken by the great 2 yearold in the 1970's.

But Naming your horse BRODIE ?  mmmmmm

2 hours ago, Michael said:

Are you Chief Stipe, Noodlum and Brodie?

, well could be more of a stable-name ok, but as a race-horse??  Would he even be fast enough to Qualify? Bit of a barrier Rogue in all likelihood as well lol......

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Think I'll name a horse CHIEF STIPE if I race another one . Bound to get some favourable treatment in the stewards room with a name like that.

NOODLUM name already taken by the great 2 yearold in the 1970's.

But Naming your horse BRODIE ?  mmmmmm

, well could be more of a stable-name ok, but as a race-horse??  Would he even be fast enough to Qualify? Bit of a barrier Rogue in all likelihood as well lol......

VO ROGUE BLOODY CHAMPION LOL

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brodie said:

I am chilled, Davis.

I just like to point out the absolute disgrace that this lot of incompetents are!

Not a single person in the caucus that has achieved anything beneficial for New Zealand !

We still have the incompetents for another 16 months unfortunately so the destruction will be immense.

We have a Minister Of Foreign Affairs that appears to be scared to fly overseas or is it that the plane seats are not suitable?

We couldnt possibly have a worse bunch of nillers in power!

Not sure about that mate. Dr Doughnut Woods has kept a few pie shops in business, especially Michaels at Hillmorton. I can't blame her because top pies at Michaels. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gammalite said:

1-0 down for the All-Whites overnight, so 'No World Cup' for NZ later in the year unfortunately.

But chin Up Mikey !!  Chris Waller and James MAc just did NZ Verry proud on the World Stage overnight !!!

Winning the Kings Stand at 'Royal Ascot' (biggest race meet in the world being held each day this week)  with NATURE STRIP blasting away from the field by 5 lengths !! (might just be better than Gammalite that horse lol....)  And then Waller gave the Southern Hemisphere breeding and his and James Mac (the jock) NZ heritage a Big Plug during the World Broadcast post race Interview,  and Thus, putting NZ on the Map !! excellent stuff.......  

Its a funny game soccer, never more funnier than when Iceland beat England at the euros in 2016 , one of the greatest sporting matches I've watched, on tv of course, but it shows the minnows can win, Iceland were a handy side at the time, The All Whites are handy but probably need  to play more top competition, Costa Rica ain't a world beater, NZ were probably unlucky but it is what it is.

On another sporting note I see Serina Williams is going to be at Wimbledon, when will she realise she ain't gunna get that elusive slam win?  Even if she did win one she still ain't the player Steffi Graf was, she retired at 30, Williams is still trying at 40, she is within her rights to play but it ain't gunna happen,(the record.

As for Nature Strip what more can you say, those straight sprints do make it fairer, that riderless horse though was lucky it didn't stuff things up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Its a funny game soccer, never more funnier than when Iceland beat England at the euros in 2016

We had no broadcast in Aus this morning of NZ v Costa Rica from Qatar unfortunately so at the same time that was on England were playing Hungary and were thrashed 4-0 by the smaller soccer nation. was quite funny listening to the commentators in total disbelief at the upset and how it has England in complete disarray before the World Cup now. (they don't play again to Sept) World Cup is Nov. 

14 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

As for Nature Strip what more can you say, those straight sprints do make it fairer,

The Everest Champion is near champion of the world tonight. Watch out for Waller , JMac , and HOME AFFAIRS to do it all again on Saturday in the Platinum Jubilee Stakes Group 1 on Saturday. Another Big Win coming Up !!!!

There are sone very good teams who won't go to the World Cup, Italy, Ukraine are freely handy Chile, Columbia, New Zealand, Russia ain't going, and if FIFA do the right thing they won't be until Putins in jail or worse,, so much history, so many good players who never go to a World Cup, 48 teams for the next one,  and I think they are gunna have pools of 3, why?

As for England I love the hype about them for every major tournament, not based on much but a lot of hope, Germany have been a bit poor by their standards recently but 5 goals against Italy suggest they are on the way up, probably historically the best team on the planet, IMHO

Strange irony Hungary didn't qualify, but the nations league means all games are meaningful

I didn't see the All Whites live, listened in bed on senz, their sport coverage is pretty good, sometimes I listen to sport online,  but sometimes watch highlights later, you tube, sitting through soccer day after day not for me, but do enjoy the knockout games, I'm the same with racing, can't watch racing day after day, need to be selective.

Edited by mikeynz

KIWISAVER,

I've watched closely what's been happening in the NZ and overseas Sharemarkets over the last few months and been shocked. Just when you think things can't get any worse they take another huge nose dive. Are you concerned about your retirement fund / house deposit / investment?

The cost of living is hurting a lot of people. High inflation, increased food and fuel costs and the diabolical numbers we were already paying, interest rates increasing meaning bigger mortgage or rent payments etc etc. That's about today but your Kiwisaver is about tomorrow so many are copping a double whammy. 

Stats show many first home buyers have their house deposit in Kiwisaver. If you live in Auckland the average house price is around 1.2 million dollars. Far king ridiculous. Every house on our street is valued at almost 2 million and we are light years away from being an exclusive area. 

The banks are asking for a 20% deposit so on an average house here that amounts to around 240k. Very few first home buyers can afford that so they either move out of Auckland or into a less desirable subdivision. Bottom line is many first home buyers who haven't already secured a home would say the biggest reason for that is they can't save a big enough deposit. If they left their Kiwisaver in the Growth fund they would have been hurt badly in recent times. We have multiple Kiwisaver accounts in our home. We put our biggest into the Cash fund in January and have lost nothing. We kept another in the Growth fund. That has lost approximately 25% of it's value in the last five months. If that was to be used as a first home deposit we would have been blasted out of the park. First home buyers have had a very tough ride in recent years and many have become so disillusioned they are forming another exodus of young kiwi's heading offshore. The NZ demographic has already been obliterated in recent years without adding to that.

Then we have retirees. Fund managers advise people to ride out uncertain times. Don't change funds and lock in your losses. I don't agree with that one size fit's all directive. If you see a storm coming you should protect yourself from it and mitigate that damage. 

I've read about retirement funds in the United States being in free fall. A 30% loss is very concerning. If you had 200k, you now only have 140k and the clock is ticking and a recession is looming. Add uncertainty over Russia and China to that picture and you see further cause for concern.

Do you share that concern?

I don't normally watch TVNZ news for a list of reasons but we do watch and enjoy The Chase. 

Last night we were slow changing channels after The Chase and copped the lead story of their bulletin. The carnage on the Sharemarkets. They did make it appear as if this was just a new thing over the last two days rather than the last five months but it was the people on the street they interviewed that left me scratching my head. No older folk to share concern about their retirement fund. One young lady who said she wasn't concerned as she'd moved her fund to the Conservative fund. Not sure how meaningful that was as I've read pieces where people were expressing concern about actually losing more in the Conservative fund than the Growth fund due to what's invested in. Not sure if that was an anomaly. Another guy in his 20's said he wasn't concerned. Markets have gone up in the past and now they are going down. No big deal. ....but context is important surely? We haven't seen this sort of carnage since Black Tuesday 1987.

Our Sharemarket suffered a short term hit when Covid arrived here in 2020 but nothing like what's been happening in the first half of this year.

• Like 2

FACEMASKS,

Anyone had issues associated with them? 

Declaring my hand. I'm fully vaccinated and believe in vaccination. I've encouraged friends who have reservations about vaccination to take the leap. I don't enjoy wearing facemasks but respect why we have them. That respect has been waning in recent times.

I had cancer surgery on my face recently. Some minor lesions were blasted off but surgery was needed for two other areas. Both left 4 cm wounds. I no longer wear a face mask for obvious reasons. I now wear a cap every time I leave the house. I also have sunscreen on my face even on an overcast day which makes wearing a mask totally impractical. I haven't applied for an exemption as I assumed common sense would apply. I also read that you don't have to prove you have an exemption. Just saying you have one was enough which did seem a tad dubious. Whenever I've noticed a staff member anywhere giving me a second look I'd go over and explain I'm not being belligerent etc, It's just not practical to wear a mask. The response is the same. Don't worry about it bro, don't give it a second thought.

So I go into a automotive type outlet. One of dozens of outlets the business have in Auckland. I know exactly what I wanted so went straight to the area. No other customers in the store. A staff member behind the counter yelled out "have you got a mask"..I replied no, it's not practical for me to wear one. He replied it's not practical for us to serve you, please leave the store. WTAF. I haven't copped that before so I walked over toward him to show him my wounds and the fact I'm fully vaccinated. He quickly walked back about 15 feet almost jumping backwards. His reaction was far king ridiculous and I told him it belonged on Days of our Lives. 

Had I been symptomatic and coughing I could better understand his OTT stance. I appreciate it's not just about his comfort level, he needs to be mindful of any other customers that may come in but he was a total eggplant about things. It's the nearest I've come in years to knocking someone over. I spoke to mates about what unfolded and they confirmed he's a well known Wayne Kerr and is despised by most who know him.

Must be said I'm seeing more people around not wearing masks.