Bit Of A Yarn

T Williams on Fire

Karrots

Is this a driver on fire or what?

He drove 5 winners yesterday as per results. Taking a look at these stats he holds 3rd spot. But would he actually be the top NZ driver if he drove the same/similar amount as the current top driver?

Thoughts people?

Starts   Wins   2nd   3rd     Stake         UDR

Blair Orange 645 106 81 71 1,148,426 0.2708
John Dunn 410 63 47 40 882,151 0.2499
Tim Williams 253 47 23 29 784,819 0.2745
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, eljay said:

Has he broken the All Stars shackle?

I'm not sure what you mean ... like chain ...  ? or I am way off.

Thinking about that would he not be the 1st in line to get the 1st right of refusal or top pick drives for Cullen? Which would that not mean theoretically if the case, his wins would go up further based on more drives and getting the top pick from stable. Of course we still have to see if the level of performance stays the same or not. 

6 minutes ago, Karrots said:

I'm not sure what you mean ... like chain ...  ? or I am way off.

Well. I mean would his priority be to Hayden now or would he be free to drive what he wanted to.    I presume with Mark his first priority would have been to drive for Mark if he was required.     Not that that was bad - his record/earnings attest to this,

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shad said:

Surprised the trotter kept the last race,thought it be out for sure,apparently not lapped on.

Shad, I wasnt surprised that it kept its first place, going by the strange current rules.

I think you can gallop for the last 49 metres and if you arent lapped on, then you will retain your position!,,

The decision last week at Cambridge was the bigger one, where the winner galloped for 200m and retained its winning spot.

Some of the rules and decisions are somewhat suspect.

1 hour ago, Shad said:

Surprised the trotter kept the last race,thought it be out for sure,apparently not lapped on.

It was a pretty clear cut case.The winner only galloped for about 20m,lost a little ground in that gallop when immediately restrained,and was not lapped on. I understand the definition of lapped on, is if the nose of the 2nd horse was in line with any part of the galloping horse,excluding the tail. That was not the case so it kept the win.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, the galah said:

I understand the definition of lapped on, is if the nose of the 2nd horse was in line with any part of the galloping horse,excluding the tail. 

Was wondering what this lapped on thing was. Ok got it.

I see the subject has moved on from the original lol. Oh well all good. Something to chat about anyway 😊

No rest for five win Williams

16 January 2021

By Dave Di Somma, Harness News Desk

Even after bagging five winners at Blenheim yesterday there was no big celebration for Tim Williams.

Instead he jumped in a car and headed four hours south to Christchurch.

“Saturday’s always a big day for fast work …. And we fast worked four this morning.”

After completing his commitments for trainer Hayden Cullen, now that he’s taken over the All Stars operation from Mark Purdon and Natalie Rasmussen, it was back on the road this afternoon for Williams for the second day of the Marlborough Harness Racing Club’s meeting tomorrow.

As for yesterday, he says he knew he had a good book of drives – “I thought I could get a couple of wins, but some had tricky draws and you never know on the grass track, but I was lucky enough to get five and it was a dream day at the office.”

The day started perfectly alright with two wins for trainer Paul Kerr (Greenbank Betty and Duffy Hollow) and then Ashes To Ashes won race 6, Peraki Seelster race 7 and I Dream Of Jeannie took out the last, at 18-to-one, despite galloping over the line.

“That was an unusual win but the rules are there, it was a bit different to win like that but we got the chocolates so that was good.”

One of the country’s premier drivers, Williams has had 542 winners since his first in 2008, though yesterday’s “fifer” is not his best result. At Winton on October 19 2014 he won six races, with Margarita, Fly Like An Eagle, Rockahula Arden, Ode To Success, Oneover and Dark Dana.

That day there were only nine races held, with the three other winners all going to Nathan Williamson.

There have been a slew of big race successes as well, with Williams a critical part of the All Stars operation and associated with the very best horses – the likes of Have Faith In Me, Dream About Me, Lazarus and Piccadilly Princess.

He’s unsure how Purdon and Rasmussen’s decision to take a year’s break from full-time training will impact on him.

“It’s a bit of the unknown, but if I get the chance to drive the very good ones, the Self Assureds I’d be keen.”

Williams was third in the 2020 New Zealand Cup with Ashley Locaz, completing an All Stars trifecta with Self Assured and Spankem. It was his second third placing in the big race, with Dream About Me third in the 2018 edition won by stablemate Thefixer.

Just how things pan out under Hayden Cullen’s tenure remains to be seen, with Williams’ immediate focus on seven drives at Blenheim tomorrow, including three first-day winners who will back up (Greenback Betty, Duffy Hollow and Peraki Seelster).

“I just hope I haven’t used up all my good luck.”

On 16/01/2021 at 9:47 AM, eljay said:

Well. I mean would his priority be to Hayden now or would he be free to drive what he wanted to.    I presume with Mark his first priority would have been to drive for Mark if he was required.     Not that that was bad - his record/earnings attest to this,

free lance driving is the way to go for Tim no one to answer to 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Davis said:

Mmm... Mr Cullen has the choice of T. Williams or O. Thornley... which driver would I choose?

Oh hey, no was not thinking that.

Was thinking of others that spoke to various media outlets to announce they taking a sabbatical starting 1 Jan 2021. But then were driving 1st Cullens runners at his first official hit out.

Therefore, I’m just curious, who will get the drive on Beyond Words.

Has that set a precedence  …. or was it more like a 1 off, or will it be an every now and again thing … ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Karrots said:

Oh hey, no was not thinking that.

Was thinking of others that spoke to various media outlets to announce they taking a sabbatical starting 1 Jan 2021. But then were driving 1st Cullens runners at his first official hit out.

Therefore, I’m just curious, who will get the drive on Beyond Words.

Has that set a precedence  …. or was it more like a 1 off, or will it be an every now and again thing … ?

I think you will find that M. Purdon and Natalie Rasmussen were committed to driving for Mr Cullen at Cambridge. Mark Purdon also said that during the sabbatical he would continue to drive some of his former charges from time to time; Natalie was not so certain of that. I think Mark and possibly Natalie will still drive for Mr Cullen, and maybe others, in G1 races.

Edited by Davis
spelling

1 hour ago, Davis said:

I think you will find that M. Purdon and Natalie Rasmussen were committed to driving for Mr Cullen at Cambridge. Mark Purdon also said that during the sabbatical he would continue to drive some of his former charges from time to time; Natalie was not so certain of that. I think Mark and possibly Natalie will still drive for Mr Cullen, and maybe others, in G1 races.

Oh yes that makes good sense Davis.  

Be good if Cullen has some sort of digital online presence for his stable. To keep the peeps informed. Maybe it's in the works.  Not a go at them or him at all, just be nice for people to see something, that are interested and of course the stable he has taken over were regarded as world-famous stable by Newshub in a mainstream top headline story. A slice from that story below.

At the end of the year, the dominant days of the All Stars racing stable will be over. From January 1, the world-famous stable will be known as Cullen Racing.

Edited by Karrots

2 hours ago, Karrots said:

Oh yes that makes good sense Davis.  

Be good if Cullen has some sort of digital online presence for his stable. To keep the peeps informed. Maybe it's in the works.  Not a go at them or him at all, just be nice for people to see something, that are interested and of course the stable he has taken over were regarded as world-famous stable by Newshub in a mainstream top headline story. A slice from that story below.

At the end of the year, the dominant days of the All Stars racing stable will be over. From January 1, the world-famous stable will be known as Cullen Racing.

https://www.cullenracingstables.co.nz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheHorseman said:

Web site looks a lot cleaner and more professional than the old all stars website.  

Yes Horseman, it certain does. They just need to remove the name of the images eg IMG_1013.JPG

but that is me just being picky. 

Look forward to seeing some videos etc, when they get a chance. Well done again and good luck Team Cullen. 

On 1/19/2021 at 7:04 AM, Davis said:

Yip Davis, you on the money. T Williams down to drive Beyond Words. How do you think she will go?

I don’t know many of these unfortunately, to know if she has some serious opposite or not ...

51 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Yip Davis, you on the money. T Williams down to drive Beyond Words. How do you think she will go?

I don’t know many of these unfortunately, to know if she has some serious opposite or not ...

Beyond Words should win but there are some consistent performers in the field including Spelllbound, Need You Now and Enchantee to keep her honest. Perhaps there will be an upset and one of the southerners trained by Steve Baucke will take it out?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Karrots said:

hi Karrots back from holiday couldn,t logon on mobile phone so just been reading posts

for your info Beyond Words sold to USA deal finalised today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trotsfan said:

hi Karrots back from holiday couldn,t logon on mobile phone so just been reading posts

for your info Beyond Words sold to USA deal finalised today

Yes you have been noticeably MIA. After you put egg on face, "Ill take Bettor Twist, everyone else can have the field", ohhh just by snozzle tho.

Nice lucky re holiday 😎

Oh the inside word Trotsfan. Thanks for sharing 👍

Edited by Karrots