Bit Of A Yarn

42 starts- ZERO PLACINGS- What’s going on?

This would have to be one of the most bizarre threads to ever have appeared anywhere — 228 posts about the rights and wrongs of a horse whose only distinction is that he's very slow.

Please Chief, put it out of its misery (the thread, not the horse!😀)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Basil said:

This would have to be one of the most bizarre threads to ever have appeared anywhere — 228 posts about the rights and wrongs of a horse whose only distinction is that he's very slow.

From my perspective the issue is bigger than just one horse.  We are worried about integrity in the industry and animal welfare but the system allows a rising 7 yr old gelding to turn up week after week with no chance of either giving a punter, the owner, the trainer or the quality of a race a positive outcome.

Isn't that the reall issue?

As a racing jurisdiction we are slipping further and further into a backwater.  FFS there are enough RIU and Industry Admin staff to address these issues and try and get some quality back into racing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

As a racing jurisdiction we are slipping further and further into a backwater.  FFS there are enough RIU and Industry Admin staff to address these issues and try and get some quality back into racing.

just got to look at the idiots running the show that why most people call them the RACING IDIOT UNIT

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Basil said:

Basil, forums are for debate and opinions, whether you appreciate the topic or not!

I initiated the post, which in my opinion was that this horse didnt really deserve to be racing after over 40 starts, not a single dividend bearing placing.

With the cost of training bills nowadays and seeing your horse finishing down the track every start, didnt make sense.
Then a couple decided in their  opinion it had nothing to do with anyone but the owner!

The horse has continued to race and finish down the track with no real return apart from appearance money.
 Mehe, has come onto the scene calling me someone who is doing things, which is extremely upsetting to myself!

Basil, the fact that the Averos Spitfire story is ongoing nearly weekly, is quite exciting I would have thought, with several enthusiasts waiting with baited breath for  a placing!

Whether that placing ever arrives is very debateable though!

The TAB could run a book on it, will “the Spitfire” ever run a dividend bearing placing?

Edited by Brodie

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

If it is that bad you can go hang out with Scooby and Pounder on the other site and discuss harness racing over there if you wish.

Just tell us how you get on.

We can barely understand what he says, so how on earth are the DarkSiders going to?

Mehe is just a troller, but it would be hilarious watching what went on over their with his colourful words, Happy!

10 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

From my perspective the issue is bigger than just one horse.  We are worried about integrity in the industry and animal welfare but the system allows a rising 7 yr old gelding to turn up week after week with no chance of either giving a punter, the owner, the trainer or the quality of a race a positive outcome.

Isn't that the reall issue?

I have some sympathy for this view, but, unfortunately, this thread has only tangentially addressed it (to my shame, I've now contributed the 236th post!)

As far as the animal welfare issue is concerned, it might be worth considering what the fate of AS could be if he didn't trundle around at the back of the field every week.

1 hour ago, Basil said:

I have some sympathy for this view, but, unfortunately, this thread has only tangentially addressed it (to my shame, I've now contributed the 236th post!)

As far as the animal welfare issue is concerned, it might be worth considering what the fate of AS could be if he didn't trundle around at the back of the field every week.

Basil, we are all aware that not every horse that is bred as a racehorse stays in work for many years, just so that they are not put down!

The majority of  owners I know are wanting a reasonable return from spending $20k each year for paying training bills!

The horse is a very poor performer and surely the owner and trainer should have realised by now, after 47 starts, that the horse is nil and doesnt deserve to be racing?

2 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Basil, we are all aware that not every horse that is bred as a racehorse stays in work for many years, just so that they are not put down!

The majority of  owners I know are wanting a reasonable return from spending $20k each year for paying training bills!

The horse is a very poor performer and surely the owner and trainer should have realised by now, after 47 starts, that the horse is nil and doesnt deserve to be racing?

still 113 starts to go to catch up with Kelly 

1 hour ago, hunterthepunter said:

still 113 starts to go to catch up with Kelly 

Kelly Evander was nil as well, and shouldnt have had so many starts.

wasn’t it trained by the owner, so cheaper and didnt it win a race and place?

• Haha 1

Every horse has its place in racing. You need the slow ones as much as you need the fast ones. If the Aveross Spitfires of racing were non existent I would give up punting. In my opinion they give some variety to an otherwise bore fest by A) creating an obstacle to favoured runners if drawn better thereby making it harder for favoured runners to win. B) Adding value to exotic bets if an aveross spitfire does happen to run in the placings. C) creating bigger fields which makes the races more attractive for betting on. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brodie said:

Kelly Evander was nil as well, and shouldnt have had so many starts.

wasn’t it trained by the owner, so cheaper and didnt it win a race and place?

Kelly evander had a cult following on fb. She was a novelty! She always trotted, just not fast. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Roman said:

Kelly evander had a cult following on fb. She was a novelty! She always trotted, just not fast. 

So about time Averos Spitfire had a fan club if the owners are going to continue to shell out!

Maybe start up a Givealittle to pay for the costs?

3 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Every horse has its place in racing. You need the slow ones as much as you need the fast ones. If the Aveross Spitfires of racing were non existent I would give up punting. In my opinion they give some variety to an otherwise bore fest by A) creating an obstacle to favoured runners if drawn better thereby making it harder for favoured runners to win. B) Adding value to exotic bets if an aveross spitfire does happen to run in the placings. C) creating bigger fields which makes the races more attractive for betting on. 

Do the owners really need to be paying out for a horse that can not run?

I prefer the loose class racing as a punting option as well, however the point of the post was to query the logic in owning a horse that is not good enough to be at the races!

57 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why don't they have a no hopers grade for those that have filled a place in 20 starts or more?  Then they only get in each other's way and you have a good betting race.

Just imagine trying to do the speed maps!

A no hopers grade.... sponsored by Mehe perhaps?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1