Jump to content
Bit Of A Yarn

Dog Chat


531 topics in this forum

  1. Food For Thought

    • 12 replies
    • 2.3k views
  2. Thrilling Amigo

    • 3 replies
    • 1k views
  3. Auckland races

    • 3 replies
    • 1.2k views
  4. Bago Bye Bye

    • 9 replies
    • 1.9k views
  5. #4 drunken sailor?

    • 5 replies
    • 1.2k views
  6. Tartan shirt 1 2 3

    • 63 replies
    • 7.5k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1k views
  7. Head stipe

    • 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
  8. Ebby ripper

    • 5 replies
    • 1.7k views
  9. Do your job Quirk

    • 4 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 32 replies
    • 5.4k views
    • 1 reply
    • 998 views
    • 1 reply
    • 1k views
  10. Silver Collar

    • 1 reply
    • 1k views
  11. Jinga Flash

    • 1 reply
    • 975 views
  12. Big Time Dream

    • 5 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 27 replies
    • 4.5k views
    • 28 replies
    • 3.9k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 844 views
    • 26 replies
    • 4.8k views
  13. ATTN: RIU

    • 1 reply
    • 1k views
    • 47 replies
    • 6.1k views
    • 6 replies
    • 1.3k views
  14. It's Time

    • 2 replies
    • 994 views

Announcements



  • Posts

    • Connor King, who was twice crowned champion apprentice jockey on the Flat in Ireland, will bid to become the youngest ever trainer to win the Grand National when sending Oscars Brother to Aintree later this spring.  The 27-year-old handler – who only has two horses at his County Tipperary stable – has admitted he is “trying not to think too much” about the prospect of Oscars Brother being a serious Grand National contender. The handicapper has given Oscars Brother a 155 rating – a weight of 10st 13lb – after three wins on the bounce in Ireland this season at Galway, Punchestown and Navan. The most recent two victories were in Grade 2 races and the last was in the famous silks of JP McManus, who bought him in December after spotting his huge potential. After discovering his Randox Grand National weight, King said, “Well, the handicapper's put him up a few pounds! We've just been seeing how he is after the last day, but he's in good form. He needs one more run to qualify. He's in the Brown Advisory at the Cheltenham Festival so we'll have to see – there's a month nearly between the two. He came out of Navan extremely well.” King added, “I've been training since April 2024 so it's coming up to two years. I'm trying not to think too much about Aintree! I know how good the horse is and it's brilliant to potentially be going up there with a horse for the Grand National and being involved in it. “I think my first memory of the Grand National would be Hedgehunter falling at the last in 2004, the year before he won it. Mr Hemmings owned him and there was kind of a connection with where I'm from at home with Eugene O'Sullivan, so I kind of remember feeling like it was closer to home than others.” King was speaking at the official Grand National weights launch on Tuesday where last year's winner, Nick Rockett, was handed a rating of 167. Nick Rockett was partnered by Patrick Mullins, champion amateur jockey and assistant to his father Willie, to Grand National glory last year. Speaking about the prospects of repeating the trick, the jockey said, “We have no complaints with his weight. We haven't had a clear run with him and he had an over-reach before the John Durkan. He then had a setback just before Christmas, so we're behind where we want to be. He's back riding and we're hoping to get a run into him before Aintree, so we're hoping to find a race for him somewhere. We've no plan for him yet but we should get him there all being well.” Mullins added, “It's not an ideal preparation having one run but unfortunately those are the cards that we've been dealt with him this year. Maybe going there fresh will help him but it's not ideal, I don't think.”   The post King Aiming To Be Youngest Grand National-Winning Trainer In History appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
    • I just received the news of the passing of Bill Recio. Bill and I were close friends from the early 1970's. He was a true horseman who understood his horses and what they needed and no one was going to move him off of what was best for each horse. He treated every horse that way and got to know them personally. He paid attention to every detail and was demanding that his people do whatever was necessary to make that horse the best that he could be. But beyond that, he was a truly good person who had a very strict code in the way he lived his life. RIP my friend. We lost one of the finest persons that I have met during my 56 years in this industry. The post Letter to the Editor: The Passing of Bill Recio appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
    • Dollars & Sense with Frank Angst looks at Forever Young's remarkable career as an example of an international approach that could keep racing's top stars in training. Read more:View the full article
    • Zarak, who has quickly established himself as one of the leading Flat stallions in France, has been temporarily sidelined from covering duties due to injury, with the Aga Khan Studs reporting that the son of Dubawi “will require several weeks to recuperate”. “Leading sire Zarak will unfortunately miss the start of the 2026 covering season following an accident in his stable,” read a statement issued by the Aga Khan Studs. “He will require several weeks to recuperate, and his condition will be reassessed in two months' time.” Based at Haras de Bonneval, Zarak is due to stand for the unchanged fee of €80,000 this season, having enjoyed notable success with his first five crops. He is the sire of 34 individual black-type winners, including the Poule d'Essai des Poulains hero Metropolitan, one of three individual Group 1 winners for the stallion alongside Haya Zark (Prix Ganay) and Zagrey (Grosser Preis von Baden). Metropolitan embarks on his second season at Haras d'Etreham in 2026, while Zagrey is at the same stage of his career at Haras de Grandcamp and Zarakem – runner-up in the G1 Prince Of Wales's Stakes – is new to Haras de la Tuilerie for this season. The post Zarak Sidelined from Covering Duties, Condition to be Reassessed in Two Months’ Time appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
    • He has to say what they want us to hear or he's gone.
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...